Zumba, a dancing-style workout, started as a mistake. According to Reader’s Digest, Beto Perez was an aerobics instructor in Colombia and one day he forgot the music for his class. The music he had was Latin music that he played for his class and improvised a routine for it. In 2001, Perez started his Zumba business with Alberto Perlman and Alberto Aghion. They began to teach Zumba classes and selling DVDs. Now Zumba is done in 185 countries and taught at 140,000 locations.
Zumba is very popular and has some great benefits.
- It’s a fun way to get your heart rate up because you are dancing.
- It gives you a good workout, since you are using your whole body to dance and you are almost constantly moving.
- You can interact with others and make new friends.
- The steps are simple and easy to follow.
- With the upbeat music, you feel happy during and after the workout, so you’re working on your mental health as well.
- Age and level of fitness doesn’t matter, since you are dancing and can adjust your steps according to your own needs.
- It’s easy to attend, due to the multitude of classes offered, and DVDs that are available if you can’t go to a class.
To check if there is a class near you, or to check out the DVDs, check out www.zumba.com. Get out there and have fun dancing your way to a healthy life!