Perhaps the most overlooked part of the dental care process, flossing is ignored by millions people who think brushing their teeth is sufficient. In actuality, flossing may be even more important than brushing and here’s why:
- Flossing helps you clean those hard-to-reach areas. Some estimates say brushing only cleans 20% of tooth surfaces. By getting between teeth and below the gum line, flossing helps address the other 80% of tooth surfaces.
- Flossing helps clear plaque and other debris so the fluoride in your toothpaste can reach more spots.
- Flossing does your gums good, too. Plaque has a tendency to build up where teeth meet the gums. There, it accretes, hardens and becomes tartar. If left unchecked, tartar can lead to gingivitis and even spread below the gum line to cause periodontitis.
- Flossing can save you cash. A cheap preventative measure, flossing can cut down on dentists bills by putting a stop to potential problems that might surface down the road.
- Flossing helps head off other diseases. You can cut down your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, and some respiratory ailments by flossing.
- Flossing precludes tartar buildup. Regular flossing removes plaque when it’s soft and pliable. If you don’t remove plaque, it hardens into tartar, and requires a dentist to scrape it off. Ouch!
- Flossing alleviates bad breath. Halitosis (bad breath) is caused by the metabolic process of plaque bacteria. By removing that plaque, you ensure your breath will by daisy-fresh. Mints help, too.